December 5, 2008


I've had a week to really think about what a great Thanksgiving I had this year. Not everyone is as lucky as I am, so I'm left with a bittersweet feeling. Humility is unequivocal to me, so I have an innate tendency to behave, act, live with reserve. This Thanksgiving, though, I made a commitment to myself to live in the moment. No matter if that meant laughing, crying, or observing. I did not want the day to go by with the usual laundry list of regrets about missed meaningful moments. This year I did not want to look back on the day with envy at the good time that other's enjoyed. My sister's laugh, my mother's raised eyebrow and chuckle, my brothers' reciting of classic movie lines. I wanted to experience these moments with them, and be part of the life going on with me in it.

When all is said and done, though, my favorite moments this year were spent listening to my mother and step-mother enjoy one another's company. Especially the laughter. They shared conversation knowingly; as if they'd spent a lot of time together before 130pm on Thursday, November 27. They joked appreciatively with each other. They hugged when the day was over. We may never get the opportunity to share a meal together like this again, but I am honored to know them both.

No comments: